We are so excited to introduce the new DreamStation 2 to our patients and were privileged to be chosen by Philips Resironics to be one of the first dozen DME Suppliers in the U.S. for early release of the product. Having a few weeks early release, our staff has had the opportunity to test, troubleshoot and acclimate ourselves to the benefits and state-of-the-art features of the product, and thus, we are ready to share that experience and knowledge with our patients.
First, we will share some of the features and benefits the manufacturer has released regarding the DreamStation 2. Second, we will include our own initial reviews and feedback from our staff and patients. Then, we will update the status of the first edition DreamStation and how this will affect patients using the earlier model. And finally, we will provide recommendations on how to care, maintain and troubleshoot your CPAP machine, as well as the insurance recommended replacement schedule for a successful and effective CPAP therapy.
Manufacturer’s Description: DreamStation 2
DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP* Advanced is the next evolution in clinically proven, integrated sleep solutions. It’s designed to provide operational efficiencies and a simplified user experience, including flexible setup, a fully integrated humidifier and modem, advanced comfort features and patient management tools.
*Auto CPAP defined: An Automatic Positive Airway Pressure (Auto PAP) machine is an auto-adjusting pressure device that delivers therapy over a preset high and low pressure. The Auto PAP algorithm works by sensing a patients’ breathing and with each breath, the Auto CPAP automatically adjusts the pressure setting to ensure the lowest possible effective pressure for the patient.
- DAILY FEEDBACK: Philips Care Orchestrator provides actionable patient insights and helps you anticipate and resolve most patient concerns. Remote data collection and engagement features help track performance.
- EFFICIENT SETUP: Get patients started on therapy quickly and efficiently with out-of-the-box, no-touch setup by accepting the default settings, or remotely personalize using Care Orchestrator. You can also choose the guided, streamlined, low-touch setup on the device.
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT SETTINGS: The color touchscreen is designed to be simple to navigate and may help to reduce callbacks and make troubleshooting easier. Comfort settings include Ramp Plus, humidification and heated tube temperature.
- RAMP PLUS: The Ramp Plus feature allows patients to set a comfortable starting pressure. Once set, Ramp Plus will be automatically activated for future therapy sessions. Pressure will increase automatically if an event is detected. Great for those that are uncomfortable falling asleep to higher pressures, Ramp Plus allows control over the ramp pressure. Specify the pressure you’d like the machine to provide during the ramp period, and when it completes it will start normal therapy pressures. If an event occurs during the ramp period that requires higher pressure, the machine will increase automatically.
- 12mm MICRO-FLEXIBLE HEATED TUBING: Philips’ smallest diameter tubing is designed to be comfortable while taking up less space than traditional tubing.
- ENHANCED PATIENT ENGAGEMENT: Philips DreamMapper sleep apnea mobile app with improved Bluetooth connectivity enables patients to view their own nightly sleep data to help them stay motivated and keep track of their therapy, including mask fit and therapy hours. Patients who used DreamMapper had 283% higher success rate sticking with sleep therapy. (46% 90-day adherence rate for DreamMapper patients vs 12% for standard care group, a 283.3% increase in a retrospective review conducted by Philips Respironics of EncoreAnywhere database whitepaper of struggling patients.)
Everything CPAP’s Reviews: DreamStation 2
Quieter & Improved Touchscreen
“In our weeks of early release, our staff was able to become familiar with the new features of the DreamStation 2 and the first thing we noticed was that the machine was a great deal quieter than it’s predecessor as well as other CPAP machines on the market. The new intuitive color touchscreen navigation window is another improvement that will make setup and usage much more user-friendly. The patient can now easily navigate menus and access the new Ramp Plus settings (which controls humidity levels and therapy data) with the swipe of a finger.” – LJ Overall, Manager
Smaller Tubing = Increased Comfort
“The new 12mm tubing offers a smaller diameter tubing over the more traditional 15mm tubing used with the first edition DreamStation and other Auto CPAP machines. The new 12mm tubing is lighter, not as restrictive and more comfortable for the patient as they sleep.” – Taméra
Detachable Humidifier = Less Chance of Damage
“We really like the detachable humidifier as this will decrease the likelihood of accidentally spilling water into the machine and causing damage. Since you cannot open the water chamber’s lid while the chamber is attached, it is required to separate the chamber away from the machine to refill.” –
Have CPAP – Will Travel
“The overall smaller size and weight is a benefit because it can easily be transported and setup when traveling but it is also designed to be used every night, whether at home or on the road. The integrated modem is also an improvement for both patient and clinic which allows easy follow up and care” – Janie
“I have been using the DreamStation 2 for a month or so and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a new CPAP machine. I have used three other CPAPs in the past and this sis the smallest so far. The Dream Station 2 with the new small diameter (12mm) heated tubing fit neatly into a travel bag that can easily fit into a personal sized airplane carry-on bag. Data can be downloaded by Bluetooth to an app that allows you to easily track hours of usage, mask fitting leaks per night and apneas per night as well. There is a nice touch screen interface for changing settings and powering it on and off. It will even remind you when it is time to change filters. My wife commented she likes the look of the new model and wants to upgrade her current machine to the Dream Station 2. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get her insurance to pay for a new machine. Humm, that might take a while.
What is the future of DreamStation (first edition)?
For our patients who are currenting using the first DreamStation, there’s no reason to panic or make immediate changes.
At Everything CPAP, we will continue to support our patients using the first DreamStation by offering ongoing technical support, troubleshooting, repairs as well as offering replacement parts and accessories needed for CPAP treatment success.
Insurance guidelines allow for coverage of CPAP machine replacement every five years, so if you have had your CPAP machine for at least five years, you may be eligible to upgrade to the DreamStation 2.
CPAP Machine Care & Maintenance Recommendations
The most frequent routine care of a PAP machine is the regular cleaning or replacement of the air intake filters. This is important to keep the internal parts from accumulating particulates (especially for those with seasonal allergies). Disposable filters should be checked at least every other week and generally replaced every 2-4 weeks or when they appear dirty. The non-disposable filter may be rinsed with clear running water if they appear dirty and reinserted into the machine after ample time to air dry. Non-disposable filters should be replaced every six months.
Keep the area around your machine clean. Remove any dust from around the machine to improve the air quality delivered to your machine. Keep the air intake of the machine unblocked. Curtains, bedding, and papers can easily block the air intake of your machine, reducing the airflow and increasing work on the blower motor.
Manufacturer warranties are voided by water damage to the machine. To avoid this, remove the chamber from the humidifier and then remove the humidifier from the machine rather than transporting them together. If a humidifier is used, you should empty the water from the chamber every morning. Accidents happen. If a family pet or family member moves the machine and humidifier with water in the chamber it is more likely that water could be spilled into your machine. (This is why the DreamStation 2’s removable humidifier chamber is a much-needed improvement.)
Your PAP Components Replacement Schedule
You may be eligible to receive coverage for certain supplies during specific periods of time. The supplies are generally subject to your deductible and coinsurance. Being eligible for supplies does not mean that your insurance will cover the cost of any or all of the supplies. A standard insurance replacement schedule is shown below:
(1) full face mask cushion
(2) nasal mask cushions
(2) disposable filters
Every 3 months:
(1) full face or nasal mask (this does not include the headgear)
(1) heated tube
Every 6 months:
(1) non-disposable filter
Every 5 years:
(1) CPAP Machine
If your CPAP Machine is damaged, nonfunctioning or needs repair, Everything CPAP offers a loaner machine until their machine is replaced or repaired (for established patients only).
NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic as well as during allergy season, we continue to encourage our patients to consistently keep up with the recommended schedule of replacing their CPAP disposable filters, and cleaning and replacing the non-disposable filters.
Everything CPAP’s Mission is to Offer Patients State-of-the-Art Equipment
Our Mission Statement: The owners and employees of Everything CPAP are dedicated to the improvement and extension of our patient’s lives through personalized care, use of state-of-the-art equipment, constant innovation, and clinical research.
We use only the highest quality supplies and most high-tech CPAP machines available on the market. Our equipment is fully vetted, reviewed and researched to offer the best treatment available.
Our success is a result of our ongoing support and training. Our patients can rely on Everything CPAP if they need refitting, product or part replacement, order refills on accessories, or are here to answer any of their questions and address any of their concerns.
If you’d like to learn more about the new DreamStation 2 or would like a free virtual demonstration, please contact us.